POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Parametric object issues : Re: Parametric object issues Server Time
12 May 2024 18:44:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parametric object issues
From: William F  Pokorny
Date: 30 Aug 2002 10:15:48
Message: <3D6F7E14.AF371036@attglobal.net>
Thorsten,
You are correct as usual. I ran Mr Suszuki's carpet and tori example and we get:

55.3%  ==> POVFPU_RunDefault
7.7%    ==> drem.c library function
6.0%    ==> Noise
2.8%    ==> __itrunc
2.0%    ==> f_noise3d
1.7%    ==> sqrt
1.6%    ==> IsoSurface_Function_Find_Root_R
1.5%    ==> POVFPU_SetLocal

Then a pile of functions out of the math library running around 0.5 to 1.2%.

I have looked over the POVFPU_RunDefault code and I find it both impressive and
intimidating. I just don't understand it well enough to help. I do wonder how
well the compilers are optimizing that huge case statement.  10 years ago case
statements of that size were trouble for a compiler and breaking them up with
conditionals was recommended. But, I do not know if this holds for the compilers
of today or even if it would be possible to break this case statement up....
Bill P.